This new role will form part of the close-knit Commodities Trading Legal team within an international physical commodities trading team of a top international investment banking group within their Zug, Switzerland based branch. The candidate will work closely with the Global Commodities division.
The individual will be reporting to Head of Legal in Zug, and will work closely with the broader legal team globally.
The candidate must have in-house commodities trading/financing experience. A track record of working in the physical commodities sector with highly motivated commodities business professionals and also ideally experience of working in banks and regulated financial institutions.
The candidate will be accountable to the legal department, the local entity in Zug and the commodities business.
The global commodities business is headquartered in Moscow but the physical trading hub/booking entity is in Zug.
Your role will have the following responsibilities:
- Commodities trade agreements / trade finance documentation sound experience.
- Broader knowledge around commodities logistics and commercial documents of international shipment of commodities.
- Commodities futures/derivatives experience would be an advantage.
- Strong appreciation of Swiss regulatory issues and regulatory issues involving a global business desk operating in a regulated entity.
- Knowledge of compliance and on-going sanctions would be an advantage.
- Issues may include jurisdictional licensing and cross border origination/marketing issues.
- Ideally admitted to practise in a Commonwealth jurisdiction (England & Wales/Singapore/Hong Kong).
- Key aspects of the function is assisting with decisions on legal structures, documentation and legal issues affecting the business interests of the entities in the commodities field.
- Documentation of structured transactions, such as sale purchase contracts for commodities will be within the remit of the candidate, as will local advice for physical commodities trading.
Key Competencies & Qualifications:
- Sound experience in Commodities business and knowledge/work experience of Swiss law.
- Banking legal team experience is beneficiary.
- Private practice could be considered combined with secondment/s in commodities team/s.
- Good academic qualifications in law and minimum 3 year PQE.
- Fluent English language skills – spoken and written, Russian and/or German are highly advantageous.
- Dynamic, astute with regard to risk assessment, commercial and self-assured.
- Team-oriented personality with good judgement to identify and escalate governance/regulatory/cross border/sanctions issues promptly, particularly to Global/Regional Legal heads, as applicable.
What is in it for you:
- A top international team, commodities sector of a leading international bank
- Ability to really get involved and grow your expertise, direct report to the Head of Legal
- Competitive salary on offer, impressive corporate bonus and benefits structure
- Long-term opportunities to develop and grow within the team.