It was a lovely summer afternoon when my phone rang. It was an amazing lawyer and a good friend of mine who declared
– I am working with one client who needs a lot of staff, but he doesn’t want to go to recruiters!
– Why is that? – I asked. – Is it because he is on a tight budget and thinks recruitment costs more than running own searches? I can prove that it is not and, actually, can save a lot of money!
– No, not that… He doesn’t mind paying.
– Is it because he prefers to do it himself?
– No, he really can’t be bothered!
– Ok… Is it because his ex-wife was a recruiter?
– (Laughing) Nooooo (still laughing)…
– So why is that? There is something you are not telling me.
– I don’t know if I should tell you.
– Come on! – I said. – You can tell me anything.
– Well… he thinks that all recruiters are…. idiots (silence)
– I see. Fine. Bring him in!
– Are you sure? Because we are in Harrods, and can pop in now.
– Pop in!
Within thirty minutes I got a phone call from the reception that I have visitors. I breathed in and out, put my ‘killer shoes’ on, printed terms of business (just in case).
When I approached the reception, I hugged my friend looking at me with a cheeky smile and a hint of ‘I am not saying that, he does. Then, I turned to the potential client, his intriguing comment still playing on my mind, with the biggest smile and shaking his hand firmly said:
– Nice to meet you. Nia – the Recruiter, and the biggest idiot of them all 😉
We signed the deal the same day and placed many roles with his company. Some say ‘idiots’, but I say ‘idiots who put their clients’ needs first’ while changing opinions during the process 😉
Subscribe to e-mail notifications about new vacancies!